Discussion Why do we still call Full Art cards Full Art?

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
When I first started collecting pokemon around Flashfire, I didn't understand what full art meant until someone explained it. Back then it made sense, full art cards had the art across the whole cards while regular ex cards only took up about half.

Well ever since Sun and Moon the regular GX cards take up the whole card and could easily be described as Full Art.

I know that people aren't used to change but shouldn't we be calling them 'textured' cards. Or something like that?

Last edited:

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I think it just stuck with EX's and then continued on with GX cards, and to be fair the regular GX doesn't have the entire card (almost, but not entirely) filled with art, while the Full Art actually have the entire art. Basically the regular GX still has the top and bottom of a regular card, while the FA is completely artwork (I know I'm nitpicky but still :p).

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
"Full Art" still makes sense for FA supporters. As for the GX's, probably just grandfather clause at work :p

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
I think it just stuck with EX's and then continued on with GX cards, and to be fair the regular GX doesn't have the entire card (almost, but not entirely) filled with art, while the Full Art actually have the entire art. Basically the regular GX still has the top and bottom of a regular card, while the FA is completely artwork (I know I'm nitpicky but still :p).

I hear what you are saying. I do find that most Gx cards though extend over the borders on the top or bottom. (I happened to have alolan golem gx and guzzlord gx in my pocket for reference)

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
You know... They're called Full Arts in PTCGO, too. It's not just a fan term. (I'm fairly certain it was an official term in the first place, though I don't know how I'd go about verifying that.)

Also, regular GX's aren't actually full-art anyway. They have solid colours at the top and bottom. They're more akin to how Ancient Trait Pokemon (fan-termed "half-arts") were laid out. (Compare them to even the promo full arts like the promos for the various Generations boxes. The difference is quite noticeable.)