• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Trashy Turtles (Turtunator GX/Garbodor)

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
Yo guys, I was looking through my cards because I wanted to build something fun and I saw Turtunator GX, and Garbodor, so I decided to make this TurGarb deck that is really just built like BuzzGarb but you know, plays fire Pokes instead. Here's the list:

Pokemon: 14

3x Turtinator GX (GRI) (Main Attacker)
1x Hoh-Oh GX (BUS) (Different weakness and can blow things up)
2x Volcanion EX (STS) (For the mirror match and ability)
2x Volcanion (STS) (Late Game setup/energy recovery)
2x Garbodor (BKP) (Ability lock)
2x Trubish (BKP) (Evolution)
2x Tapu Lele GX (GRI) (Ability)

Trainers: 23

3x Cynthia (ULP)
2x Professor Sycamore (BKP)
2x N (FCO)
1x Lillie (ULP)
3x Guzma (BUS)
1x Kiawe (BUS)

4x Ultra Ball (SUM)
2x Nest Ball (SUM)
3x Max Elixir (BKP)
1x Field Blower (GRI)
1x Rescue Stretcher (GRI)

3x Choice Band (GRI)
2x Fighting Fury Belt (BKP)
4x Float Stone (BTH)

1x Scorched earth (FCO)

Energy: 13

1x Burning Energy (BTH)
12x Fire Energy

So this deck is built to get out a Hoh-Oh GX, Turtinator GX, or Vocanion EX out fast while shutting off ability's with Garbodor and when your big attacker gets knocked out, you can get a new one out fast with Volcanion, attaching energy from hand, and Max Elixirs. This deck either sets up fast and destroys everything or just completely bricks.

So, some questions I have for this are:

1. Should I play more Hoh-Oh and Less Volc EX or less Turtanator and more Hoh-Oh??? Because I just made this and I'm still trying to figure out counts for the three com-padres (Hoh-Oh, Volc, and Turtanator)

2. Got any pointers for ways to make this more consistent???

3. Do you think this has a good place in the Meta? I know BuzzGarb is better but I want to make this Rouge deck work.

Any Help would be appreciated, Thanks!!!

Last edited:

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
I think you should play less volc as you would be shutting off steam ups with garbotoxin.
I actually think it should be flipped so you have more HO-OH than Turtnator, possibly 2 turts and 3 Ho-Oh's as Ho-Oh hits better numbers
in that variant, the Turtnators will be mainly utilized for nitro tank GX
with everything I've said, I think Buzz/Garb is just better as it hits weakness on Zoroark, can utilize strong energy, and has an EXTREMELY powerful early-game GX attack
with some testing maybe you could come up with a Ho-OH garb list that plays more like Buzz/Garb

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
Yeah I agree. After some testing, I realized how good ho-oh gx is because it hits such good numbers, but the problem is I only have 1 hi-oh gx so that could be a problem

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Garbodor in general isn't a great idea to include in this deck at all, but to each their own.

Since you are doing this interesting thing, get rid of all the Volc EX's, because once you throw down Garbodor, guess what?

Useless, unwanted, taken up bench space.

Then Guzma targets any Volc EX in play.

I agree with FacePalmMaster, try Ho Oh Garb as a variant, that would be interesting to say the least.

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
Hi. I will still play at least 1 volc EX because early game, you can steam up to get energy in the discard to excelerate with baby volc and nitro tank GX. Volc also can be used as a back up attacker, and can up damage when you don’t want a Garbodor in play, like when playing against BuzzGarb, but Volc EX serves for the same purpose as Regiroc EX in a Buzzwole GX deck but can attack as well.

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
Hi. I will still play at least 1 volc EX because early game, you can steam up to get energy in the discard to excelerate with baby volc and nitro tank GX. Volc also can be used as a back up attacker, and can up damage when you don’t want a Garbodor in play, like when playing against BuzzGarb, but Volc EX serves for the same purpose as Regiroc EX in a Buzzwole GX deck but can attack as well.
volc doesn't really help you hit numbers unless you don't have a choice band (if you're running Ho-Oh, but with garb in play, volc won't help in the mid to late game)
volc helps KO gardie, but I wouldn't consider that as a problem as small as gardie is currently.
turtnator should really just be played for Nitro tank GX, which is really helpful
as for you saying you only having 1 Ho-Oh, you can get a ho-oh on amazon for just 5 dollars

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
3 bucks for Ho-oh.

Volc-EX is bad. Ho-oh has Sacred Fire, which does a much better job at finishing off stuff you blew up. In the mirror you set up Ho-oh, Garb, and win. Scorched Earth is a thing, so you don't at all care about having Volc. Burning Energy is bad, play at least 15 fire, 4 Elixir, you Kiawe T1, so Lillie is bad, needs more Sycamore, 4 Guzma to reset Ho-oh is a necessity, you know, just everything that everyone else said

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
volc doesn't really help you hit numbers unless you don't have a choice band (if you're running Ho-Oh, but with garb in play, volc won't help in the mid to late game)
volc helps KO gardie, but I wouldn't consider that as a problem as small as gardie is currently.
turtnator should really just be played for Nitro tank GX, which is really helpful
as for you saying you only having 1 Ho-Oh, you can get a ho-oh on amazon for just 5 dollars

I cringed when I saw "5 dollars on Amazon" instead of "3 dollars on TCGPlayer." XD

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
You guys don’t realize that Volc EX can help get energy in the discard to exelerate with Nitro Tank GX and baby Volc. Why I’m playing Turtinator GX instead of ho-oh, is because this is pretty much supposed to be like BuzzGarb, so I’ll show you what fire cards I reaplaced with the fighting cards in BuzzGarb.

Turtinator GX = Buzzwole GX

Ho-Oh GX = Zygarde EX

Volcanian = Carbink Break (takes up less space though, so I used the rest for Volc EX to help discard energy and up damage in matchups where Garbotoxin doesn’t do much)

Volcanian EX = Regirock EX that helps get energy in the discard pile.

Oh and I almost forgot, Lillie is really good for a turn one supporter since you can draw till you have 8, and I kind of want to take out a Kiawe because I really don’t find myself using both at all, if I don’t start ho-oh GX (putting in a third Sycamore instead of this). What do you guys think of that???

P.S. stop hating on my Volc EX’s, there gonna stay right where they are, and besides, I’m more worried about consistency rather than how Garbotoxin shuts of “Steam Up.”

Chicken Nugget Master

I had the munchies when I came up with my username
You guys don’t realize that Volc EX can help get energy in the discard to exelerate with Nitro Tank GX and baby Volc. Why I’m playing Turtinator GX instead of ho-oh, is because this is pretty much supposed to be like BuzzGarb, so I’ll show you what fire cards I reaplaced with the fighting cards in BuzzGarb.

Ho-Oh GX = Zygarde EX

Volcanian = Carbink Break (takes up less space though, so I used the rest for Volc EX to help discard energy and up damage in matchups where Garbotoxin doesn’t do much)

Oh and I almost forgot, Lillie is really good for a turn one supporter since you can draw till you have 8, and I kind of want to take out a Kiawe because I really don’t find myself using both at all, if I don’t start ho-oh GX (putting in a third Sycamore instead of this). What do you guys think of that???

P.S. stop hating on my Volc EX’s, there gonna stay right where they are, and besides, I’m more worried about consistency rather than how Garbotoxin shuts of “Steam Up.”
Fire is completely different to BuzzGarb though, you shouldn't just swap some cards around and expect the deck to be done. There are a lot of things that cannot be compared accurately between the two variants, such as:

Energy: 13 (11 Basic) is not nearly enough, you need to play 15 basic minimum and Burning Energy will hinder you more than it'll help you.

Draw: 8 Draw Supporters and 2 Leles is not consistent enough, especially when you take abilities out of the equation.

Pokémon: Volcanion (both kinds) is pretty useless in this deck. You have Nitro Tank and Super Rod to recover Energy, ane they are better options than doing a mild amount of damage when your deck is built for 1HKOs anyway. Steam Up can increase damage, but are you willing to make it so two important parts of your deck do not combo with each other and end up setting the other back? You have Choice Band for more damage.

Overall Win Condition: With BuzzGarb, you aim to apply pressure early game and hinder your opponent late game. With Fire, you intend to take a slow start and set up early game, then hit hard late game. These two archetypes are different, and cannot be played in the same way.

Feel free to take as much or as little advice as you like from this, but I am merely providing the facts and statistics that other players would give you as well.

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
Well usually I just set up 2 Turtinators and my 1 ho-oh GX and then play a late game N with Garbotoxin in play and you just end up winning. The Volc EX’s are strictly for early game when you don’t have your Garbotoxin ready, and again, helps with getting energy in the discard for an early game Nitro Tank GX to get everything set up.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Well usually I just set up 2 Turtinators and my 1 ho-oh GX and then play a late game N with Garbotoxin in play and you just end up winning. The Volc EX’s are strictly for early game when you don’t have your Garbotoxin ready, and again, helps with getting energy in the discard for an early game Nitro Tank GX to get everything set up.
S C O R C H E D E A R T H

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Wait, that will help with cosistency as well!!! Thanks!

(Taking out a Kiawe)

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
The deck usually plays 2 Kiawe because it's the best T1 supporter for the deck. You'd much rather T1 Kiawe than T1 Lillie. Why do you need to Lillie turn 1? To get a Trubbish that hinders your setup early game, or Energy? And isn't Ho-oh much closer to Buzzwole-GX than Turtonator is? It's the card that blows shit up and has more or less, the same effect. Prizing your 1 Kiawe sucks, and the extra copy can save you late into the game where you can sack a baby Volc taking a turn to Kiawe onto a Ho-oh and immediately setting it up to take the final prizes, closing games out. The reasoning behind multiple Kiawe is similar to why decks play more than 1 Brigette, even though they almost never use it after the first turn.

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
Ok, whatever, but this is a Turtinator deck, not a Ho-Oh deck!!! The T1 Kiawe can be good if you have a draw supporter in your hand for the following turn, but if not then I play down my hand and Lillie to draw until I have 8.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Ok, whatever, but this is a Turtinator deck, not a Ho-Oh deck!!! The T1 Kiawe can be good if you have a draw supporter in your hand for the following turn, but if not then I play down my hand and Lillie to draw until I have 8.
Ho-oh >>> Turtonator all the way. If it weren't the case, you wouldn't get excessive comments saying that you should play more Ho-oh.

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
THIS IS NOT A HO-OH DECK, IT’S A TURTINATOR DECK!!!!! If this was a Ho-oh deck it would be called Trashy Birds, not Trashy Turtles. Please stop saying I need more Ho-oh because I don’t have more ho-oh GXs so please stop.

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9

Ho-Oh GX = Zygarde EX

Ho-Oh plays more similarly to buzzwole GX that turt does, it just requires 1 more energy