SM5+ 'Ultra Force' Releasing in January!

Shfinx

Meta Slave btw
This looks like it's gonna be pretty good. In expanded, this works well with Korina, since you can take a Garchomp and a Rare Candy, which will make it pretty consistent. The one problem would be how the Expanded meta is a lot of speed decks, though now it hits Darkrai and Zoroark for weakness, which will help with those matchups. Night March will probably be it's worst matchup, besides Venosaur.

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
Usually the case for these alternate type cards is that they require different types of energy to use their attacks, specifically the Metal Empoleon is in my mind since you'd have to find some way to attach metal energies, but it's not an issue with Garchomp since both of them require the same type of energy! So automatically this Garchomp is just as good as the previous one, and probably better. I'd still run 3 Fighting Garchomp and 1 Dragon Garchomp in the deck, just so I don't get bamboozled by Golisopod or something.

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Usually the case for these alternate type cards is that they require different types of energy to use their attacks, specifically the Metal Empoleon is in my mind since you'd have to find some way to attach metal energies, but it's not an issue with Garchomp since both of them require the same type of energy! So automatically this Garchomp is just as good as the previous one, and probably better. I'd still run 3 Fighting Garchomp and 1 Dragon Garchomp in the deck, just so I don't get bamboozled by Golisopod or something.

Smart.

Sir Linoone

Marellous. Splendid. What was the question again?
I thought that maybe you could use Mysterious Treasure to grab a dragon type Garchomp.
Or not.

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Too bad we're not getting this alternate type in Ultra Prism! Garchomp is something I'm definitely going to playtest.

makarNa

Aspiring Trainer
Do Dragon types even have a reason to be in tcg anymore? Really big upgrade and gonna be played for sure now.

DaLoc

Aspiring Trainer
I was going to use breakpoint Gible just for brooklet hill with riolu. Now this deck is amazing with better Gibles, Strong Energy, Regirock EX

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Strong energy + Cynthia + CB is 250, so you OHKO literally everything.

I could imagine continuing to run 1-2 copies of dragonchomp because of Leafeon showing up in the meta, but I can't imagine bothering with BKPChomp anymore.

BKP Chomp is still a good inclusion because of its ability to accelerate special energy imo.

Dragon type really needs some love. Like why aren't dragons given any resistances? Nothing's weak to dragon too so that sucks.

There is that new mysterious treasure card that is a better ultra ball for dragon and psychic types, but since Chomp plays Lucario that's not very helpful.

Yog

Rogue
I honestly don't think we'll see any kind of decent Dragon mons or support cards until the BW block rotates out of Expanded. It has to happen sooner or later. If it was this year, then maybe that opens a door where Dragons can be supported with new cards without the old ones becoming overpowered.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
I honestly don't think we'll see any kind of decent Dragon mons or support cards until the BW block rotates out of Expanded. It has to happen sooner or later. If it was this year, then maybe that opens a door where Dragons can be supported with new cards without the old ones becoming overpowered.

A) That's never going to happen, why do people keep thinking that?

B) As far as I'm aware, Japan doesn't even use the Expanded format for anything, so its existence is completely irrelevant to what cards get printed anyway.

Also, realistically, Dragon is already one of the weakest types. If Aqua Patch didn't break Expanded, why would new Dragon support break anything?

Yog

Rogue
A) That's never going to happen, why do people keep thinking that?

Well the alternative is for Expanded to remain as BW-on forever. Fair enough for the near future, but do you really think we'll be playing with cards from 2011 in a decade's time? Twenty years?

It has to happen sooner or later.

This is really a topic for it's own thread. But there will be strategies and cards implemented, that interact with old cards in broken ways. And the banlist can only go so far. At some point they will have to flush Expanded in a similar way as Standard is rotated. If not, the alternative is for Power Creep to magnify to ridiculous levels, which would be equally bad for the game.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Well the alternative is for Expanded to remain as BW-on forever. Fair enough for the near future, but do you really think we'll be playing with cards from 2011 in a decade's time? Twenty years?

I feel like if they decided that was an issue, they'd sooner end support for the format. I don't think either will happen. I feel it's fairly clear Expanded is meant to essentially be a more balanced alternative to Unlimited. Which doesn't require, or really even facilitate, a rotation being applicable. I think they know not everyone has access to cards for the Expanded format. Even now that's an issue to a fairly large degree (Computer Search isn't exactly a cheap card, after all), and I don't think they view this as an issue, either. (It's not like Battle Arena decks include Ace Specs, even though that would be pretty easy to do.)

Also, realistically... Cards are more likely to get power-crept OUT of Expanded than they are to get broken by new releases. Yes, sometimes an older card DOES get broken, hence why Archeops and Forest of Giant Plants are banned, but that doesn't happen often, and there's ways to deal with that that don't involve removing an entire block of cards.

Last edited:

Xatian

Aspiring Trainer
Wow! The Poipole is interesting! Could be a stall deck? Plus that GX attack is crazy! Automatic three prizes? Wow!
In expanded, I can see this being a rediculous stall deck. Just use dimension valley, and keep using that second attack with a lot of milling card and energy denial

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
BKP Chomp is still a good inclusion because of its ability to accelerate special energy imo.

Dragon type really needs some love. Like why aren't dragons given any resistances? Nothing's weak to dragon too so that sucks.

There is that new mysterious treasure card that is a better ultra ball for dragon and psychic types, but since Chomp plays Lucario that's not very helpful.

Let's not hug BKP Chomp too closely, as it will be rotating, which is sad, it was a such a good card that didn't get it's opportunity to shine.