Discussion Same decks on PTCGO

Raichu311

Aspiring Trainer
Is anyone else tired of playing against like the same 3 decks online every match? The one thing i always liked about Pokemon over like magic was that you saw so many different decks and not just the same two or three that everyone copies and plays with. It seems lately everyone is just net decking and using the same thing. I always liked to use whatever cards or pokemon that i personally liked and try to make a competitive deck with them. Just been frustrated playing against the same deck over and over and was wandering if i was the only one that found this frustrating? Any thoughts.....

Shfinx

Meta Slave btw
It is kind of annoying when you see the same deck repeatedly. If you haven't already, you could try Expanded. There's still a meta, obviously, but there are more decks out there. If you really want to play Standard (I'm assuming you're a Standard player because most people are. Apologies if you aren't), you might just have to put up with it. People are allowed to play what they play, I suppose, so you can't really stop them. It is a shame, though. You could always try making some super troll deck that just counters the 3 you keep seeing.

Sorry for the pretty lame advice. I basically just said, "Nothing you can do unless you go play Expanded, and even then no promises," which is very helpful. I mean, you at least get to see unique decks if you go to a league, I guess. Hope this helped, and good luck in the future with finding more interesting matchups!

Raichu311

Aspiring Trainer
It is kind of annoying when you see the same deck repeatedly. If you haven't already, you could try Expanded. There's still a meta, obviously, but there are more decks out there. If you really want to play Standard (I'm assuming you're a Standard player because most people are. Apologies if you aren't), you might just have to put up with it. People are allowed to play what they play, I suppose, so you can't really stop them. It is a shame, though. You could always try making some super troll deck that just counters the 3 you keep seeing.

Sorry for the pretty lame advice. I basically just said, "Nothing you can do unless you go play Expanded, and even then no promises," which is very helpful. I mean, you at least get to see unique decks if you go to a league, I guess. Hope this helped, and good luck in the future with finding more interesting matchups!
Yeah ive always just kind of stuck to standard but maybe i should look into expanded a little more

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
This is common with every CCG. You will see almost everyone run the decks/archtypes that are wildly successful; it's just how things roll. With a program like PTCGO, you will need to gather the cards to run the decks by yourself (through spending actual money, grinding, or trading), but for something like Yu-Gi-Oh! (Dueling Network) and other online programs (like Hearthstone); you have all the cards available to you; so net-decking in those programs is rather easy. [I don't play Hearthstone, so I can't say anything about needing to collect the cards to build a specific Deck.]

You can basically do a few things...

1) Construct a meta-breaking deck: Take cards that are effective at shutting down what's hot, while still being able to deal and dish out damage effectively; and stitch them together with the necessities to make a counter Deck. Counter what's hot with a deck that might not be on everyone's radar. Constantly playing against the same 3 decks, you'll eventually learn what cards will be effective at neutralizing those so called "annoyances" and set you up in the long run.
2) Play in Expanded: All Standard Decks in the current Rotation are legal to play in Standard, are legal to play in Expanded. In Expanded, you will see a lot more Decks, most of those Decks were the thorn in the side of many a player in the last Rotation. If you are getting more and more upset you keep playing the same Decks, maybe it's time to change what level you play your Duels on.
3) Kind of accept it: This is not me coming off as apathetic or indifferent to your plight/situation; I understand where you're coming from. I find it extremely annoying to keep playing the same Decks, the same Archtypes over and over again, without seeing any different ones. This is probably the option I would recommend the least, because no one should submit themselves to do something they don't want to do.

I would honestly suggest Option 1 first; make a Counter Deck and see if it is effective at neutralizing the problems you keep facing. If the Deck you made is not successful at countering the problems you are facing; then it's time to step away from Standard play and hop into Expanded.

Otaku

The wise fool?
@Raichu311

The short (even though it won't look it) answer is that the Versus Ladder isn't for casual play against a variety of decks. It is a shame there isn't a mode for that, but the Versus Ladder is somewhat like a tournament; however the PTCGO determines your record, it tries to find someone with a like record to match you up against them. This, in turn, means you eventually blow past the people who have little skill and weak decks, the people who have little skill but good decks, the people with good skill but weak decks, etc.

So... that means as you grind, you're eventually filtering out all but the time-tested decks in the hands of competent (or better) players. You might get lucky and find a good player with a creative deck, but that can backfire if it turns things into a one-sided matchup; it is better to get curb stomped by something creative than something boring, but it is still getting curb stomped. You may also be fortunate and find a lucky player (creative deck or the same old thing) who got higher than he or she should have, or face someone better than you but who gets a bad open, etc. but mostly you reach a point where everyone is as good or better than you, and using what is proven.

The best answer is, if you can afford it, a short "vacation" from the PTCGO or at least its Versus Mode. Well, since you aren't already playing things other than Standard, I also recommend all the Formats supported by the Versus Ladder. Yes, all the Formats: Theme, Expanded, and Legacy. Even if they are individually stagnant, they are often different enough from each other (and Standard) to give you a more diverse experience. The SM-series of decks have been a mixed blessing for the Theme Format; they are almost as good as I think Theme Decks ought to be so that the Theme Format isn't so tedious but also making it pretty clear what decks to play (the most recent SM-era one you have, give or take Weakness trends). People championed Expanded earlier; I'll just add that when Expanded does tend to get hidebound, at least it also tends to be fast. Well, unless you're facing a lock deck. >_< The Legacy Format tends to experience punctuated equilibrium; it'll be same old same old for a while, until new discoveries (rediscoveries?), more people acquiring the harder-to-get older cards, and counters for the top deck suddenly make the current top deck the old top deck.

I'm pretty behind on the PTCGO metagame right now, however; I've been busy with other projects.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
I've taken solace by making a deck using the singleton 150 rules, only sixty cards. Its really fun to play against the same old, same old decks you see, having lots of different lines of play. Doesn't win often, mind you, but you weren't complaining about wins so... :)