Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: March 2018 - Luck ~ Both Portions Up!

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Ill join for text base

And heres my entry

Black Kyurem GX 250HP Electric type

Attacks:
(E) ice claw 50 damage
(Flip a coin if heads the opponents pokemon is paralyzed

(E)(E)(DCE) Dragon tail: 150 Damage

Freeze Shock GX: 200 damage
This attack does 200 damage times the number of electric energy in your opponents discard pile
(You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness None

Resistance: none

Retreat: 4
Just saying, [L] is usually used for Lightning energy not é. Also, the GX attack has no energy cost :p

Yog

Rogue
Post edited for image errors, I'll take the points hit.

Signing up for image with this
hhVUBZ0.png

I got to thinking about coin-flips and cash related puns, and I was this close to creating a Meowth with a similar ability. But I settled for 'Champion's Purse' for Incineroar's wrassling roots. Let's face, everyone hates coin flip attacks. And Fliptini can only do so much. It's a very powerful ability, so I think having it on a not-very-good Stage 2 is a fair trade-off. It would require a lot of effort and deck space to guarantee those flips, but it'd be totally worth it when you manage it.

I think a card like this, that turns one of your Tails into a guaranteed Heads, could open up so many many unviable cards. And, as it happens, there are a whole lot of both [D] and [R] cards that fulfill the 2 coins or more requirement. I've been careful with the wording to ensure firstly, the ability can stack with multiple Incieroar out, and secondly that you can choose to leave the Tails as Tails if you so choose.

Most of all of course, the other Incineroar-GX. Which at present is incredibly poor. But imagine two of these bad boys sitting on the bench supporting it? Suddenly that 80 +maybe 50, + maybe 50 more becomes a guaranteed 130 or 180. In a way, this is a successor to my [P] type Decidueye from January (Some theme where I can make a [Y] Primarina next tyia). This card and the regular version can support each other, and your obvious deck archetype is to build around both in the same deck. Not an easy build with the mixed costs, but [R] have a lot of support that could retrieve the discarded energies.

The GX attack is pretty straightforward for the brawler. One of those flips is already guaranteed. Another Incineroar on the Bench and it's 140 and you just need one of your three flips to be a heads for a straight-up 210 before tools.

'Skin the Cat' is named for the wrestling move. It's a difficult attack to build around with the discarding. And luck could be against you, but at least you can plan around that with your build. But it will be very tricky to stream this attack regularly, even with Dark Patch in Expanded. And I think that is a fair price to pay for a double discard off of your opponent. Note this can work with the discarding swagger Torracat (who relies on a flip :p ). Mostly this card is supposed to support some other attacker, but you can use this to stall at a pinch, or 2HKO if you can figure out a reliable way to recharge the attack.

Asch's blanks & icons as ever appreciated. Art has some slight tweaks by me, but the base figure & background is official from the SM set.

Last edited:

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Signing up for image with this
eMoaVtV.png

I got to thinking about coin-flips and cash related puns, and I was this close to creating a Meowth with a similar ability. But I settled for 'Champion's Purse' for Incineroar's wrassling roots. Let's face, everyone hates coin flip attacks. And Fliptini can only do so much. It's a very powerful ability, so I think having it on a not-very-good Stage 2 is a fair trade-off. It would require a lot of effort and deck space to guarantee those flips, but it'd be totally worth it when you manage it.

I think a card like this, that turns one of your Tails into a guaranteed Heads, could open up so many many unviable cards. And, as it happens, there are a whole lot of both [D] and [R] cards that fulfill the 2 coins or more requirement. I've been careful with the wording to ensure firstly, the ability can stack with multiple Incieroar out, and secondly that you can choose to leave the Tails as Tails if you so choose.

Most of all of course, the other Incineroar-GX. Which at present is incredibly poor. But imagine two of these bad boys sitting on the bench supporting it? Suddenly that 80 +maybe 50, + maybe 50 more becomes a guaranteed 130 or 180. In a way, this is a successor to my [P] type Decidueye from January (Some theme where I can make a [Y] Primarina next tyia). This card and the regular version can support each other, and your obvious deck archetype is to build around both in the same deck. Not an easy build with the mixed costs, but [R] have a lot of support that could retrieve the discarded energies.

The GX attack is pretty straightforward for the brawler. One of those flips is already guaranteed. Another Incineroar on the Bench and it's 140 and you just need one of your three flips to be a heads for a straight-up 210 before tools.

'Skin the Cat' is named for the wrestling move. It's a difficult attack to build around with the discarding. And luck could be against you, but at least you can plan around that with your build. But it will be very tricky to stream this attack regularly, even with Dark Patch in Expanded. And I think that is a fair price to pay for a double discard off of your opponent. Note this can work with the discarding swagger Torracat (who relies on a flip :p ). Mostly this card is supposed to support some other attacker, but you can use this to stall at a pinch, or 2HKO if you can figure out a reliable way to recharge the attack.

Asch's blanks & icons as ever appreciated. Art has some slight tweaks by me, but the base figure & background is official from the SM set.
This looks super cool, but I don't know if you noticed that the Dark Energy next to Skin the Cat is kinda cut off. Just a heads up! :)

Sup3rTaco

Aspiring Rayquaza
[Basic] Victini GX [R] Hp130

Ability: Victory Parade
When your opponent switches their Active Pokémon by the effect of a card or ability (except Victory Parade), you may switch your Active Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon.

[R][R] Energy Assault 30
For every Basic Energy attached to your opponent's Pokémon, place 3 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon.

[R][R] Final Gambit GX 70
Flip 2 coins. If both are heads, knock out 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. If both are tails, your opponent chooses one of your Pokémon to be knocked out. If one is heads, both active Pokémon are now confused. If there are exactly 9 Pokémon in play, you may ignore coin flip requirements for this attack. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Pokémon-GX rule: When your Pokémon-GX is knocked out, your opponent takes two Prize Cards.

Weakness: [W]
Resistant:
Retreat: [C]

edit: accidentally posted without any content:oops:

Last edited:

Sup3rTaco

Aspiring Rayquaza
I can dig it. But I feel like this post is missing something.

I know:(
Apparently hitting TAB doesn't do anything other than select the post button, so hitting ENTER afterwards made me post nothing
I'm currently finishing up my edit

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
I see some serious competition! I can not sit back and do nothing so I did some sweet blue Full Art lines in Adobe Illustrator :D

2y66vkn.gif

Inspiration:
If tails, rethink your life choices... usually I'm not a huge fan of coin flips, but it can be fun too. That is what I went for with Future Glimpse. You get useful information if heads, but you don't hate yourself if it flips tails. Not all attacks need complications, I don't want my card to be all text either so I added Forest Edge as a clean attack. Rewind GX is for those players who like to wager. Celebi's ability to leap through time was inspiration for this attack. If you change the past the future may drastically turn in your favour, or not! Leaving your opponent without a hand can be game changing, but you might waste your GX attack instead.

Credits:
Card components by PokemonCardRecource
Celebi art from Rocket Haruka
Edited a small mistake probably no one would've ever noticed
Edited a lot of text related issues

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
The theme has been changed slightly: entries are not restricted to containing an effect with a coin flip, but at least one effect must be predominantly luck-based still.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
The theme has been changed slightly: entries are not restricted to containing an effect with a coin flip, but at least one effect must be predominantly luck-based still.
Does this mean we can edit our entries?
ONLY if it's related to changing a coin flip to a "luck" effect?

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer

I think the coin flip is part of the "luck" effect. For example, the TCG Company might release a Sunflora card that has an attack called Slicing Leaf for 70 damage needing two Colorless Energy to attack. The effect might read "Flip a coin. If tails, this Pokémon can't attack during your next turn." Or, if it also had Leaf Slash for 40 damage needing one Grass Energy, the effect of it's Slicing Leaf could instead read "Flip a coin. If tails, this Pokémon can't use Slicing Leaf during your next turn." The luck effect in this contest is where there is at least a bit of a chance that the attack will fail. A perfect example of this is Kangaskhan's Hurricane Punch attack from the Sun and Moon series as the attack requires you to flip four coins. The effect says that it does 50 damage for each heads. As each coin has a fifty-fifty chance of being heads, there is a one in sixteen chance that the attack will do no damage whatsoever, but there's also a one in sixteen chance that it can do a devastating two hundred damage to the Defending Pokémon, potentially knocking it out. On average, the attack will (25% of the time) do at least 100 damage to the Defending Pokémon. Then look at Politoed from HS Unleashed. Its Big Chorus attack (should you have exactly six Water type Pokémon in play) will do on average (12.5% of the time) at least ninety damage. Some of the attacks you will see in the Trading Card Game have a fifty-fifty chance of failing. Some attacks will have a one in four chance of failing. Some even only have a one in four chance of working. There are even attacks that will have a fifty-fifty chance of either preventing you from attacking or preventing you from using that attack. The coin flip alone really tests the luck of any player whom plays the Trading Card Game, and you will see in tournaments that coin flips do not always go their way, but when they do, they can wreck your opponent's chances of winning. Hence the LUCK of the draw. (No pun intended.)

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Coin flips are a "luck" effect. They're one of the game's main forms of randomization. As a general rule, an effect is luck-based if there's a pass/fail test that doesn't involve skill on the part of either player, and the effect only works if it passes the test. Here's a list of effects that have been used before that come to mind:
  • coin flips (whee)
  • shuffling your deck and then revealing the top X cards
  • choosing a random card from your opponent's hand
  • putting a card face-down in front of you and forcing your opponent to guess whether it's a Pokémon, Trainer, or Energy
  • flipping over a Prize card with an extra effect based on the type of card
Some of these are technically mind-games in a meta context, but the game itself considers them luck-based effects, so they're good to use.

Blakers

Holder of the Holy Diamond!
Murkrow – Darkness – HP70
Basic Pokémon

NO. 198 Darkness Pokémon HT: 1’08” WT: 4.6 lbs.

Ability: Bad Luck Charm
Whenever this Pokémon uses an attack or is damaged by an attack (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out), you may flip a coin. If heads, place 3 damage counters on your opponent’s Active Pokémon. If tails, place 3 damage counters on one of your Benched Pokémon.

[C][C] Lone Fighter: 30 damage. If you have no Benched Pokémon, this attack does 50 more damage.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: [C]
Feared and loathed by many, it is believed to bring misfortune to all those who see it at night.

For those who couldn’t tell, my card is based on Qrow Branwen from RWBY (who can turn into a crow), and bringing misfortune is pretty much his unique trait in the show, whether the bad luck goes to allies or enemies, which is why Bad Luck Charm can potentially backfire. Because of the possibility of hurting his allies, Qrow prefers to fight alone so only his opponents are at risk, which is where Lone Fighter comes from. Other than that, it’s pretty standard Murkrow stats, with the “feared by many” Pokédex entry being the last reference to Qrow.