Help Metagross GX Deck Versus non-GX Decks

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I've been having very mixed success against non-GX decks lately playing Metagross GX, even when I set up fairly well. This is against decks like Mach Strike x2, baby Metagross, Alolan Exeggutor, etc., which I had a lot of trouble against (1-2 against those 3 decks). I'm pretty familiar with how to play against the meta decks (i.e., BuzzRoc, ZorGarb, etc.), but I seem to struggle getting 6 KOs against these (or 5, since most of the time there's a Lele out there to grab 2 with at least). I feel like Metagross should have a _huge_ advantage over non-GX decks (since mostly they just can't compete with 250 hp), but I've really struggled, so I must be doing something wrong.

In general my strategy is to get my 3 Metagross built up quickly, and then just rotate and make sure I'm absorbing the hits, using Max Potions to clear out my hp when I take a hit, and make sure to have Dhelmise out there if it's a 160hp deck (like Eggie). I Guzma into their tech cards when I can, and try to keep my hand fresh. I'll even try to get Ultra Necrozma out pretty early and try for those 100hp KOs with just the two energy when they've got a weak tech card out there (or, say, a baby Egg).

Anything I'm missing? (Either specific to Metagross or just general strategy against these decks)?

TorchHG

Aspiring Trainer
From what it sounds like, you do have the general game plan down, but my first question is how many turns does it take you to setup? Do you have at least 1 Metagross by turn 2 frequently? Do you have all 3 out by mid-game (not end-game)?

From what I've heard from other players about Metagross is that it is a traditionally slow deck. What kills it is if your opponent KOs pieces before they're setup (KOing Beldum and Metang, primarily). That, and I've seen a lot more people going for early Judge and Marshadow SGL plays, which really hurts your ability to setup.

In summary, it looks like you have the general game plan, but from what information I see, I can only assume that other decks setup faster and take advantage of that.