Help How to deal with Mew EX

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
Hello everyone, I have decided to play Buzz/Roc at portland regionals and have found mew EX very hard to deal with. in my testing I never get time to knock the Mew out, they just play it down, attach a DCE and swing it into the active for the KO. I thought about weakness policy, but it's too situational. I could tech in a 1-of weakness policy just to slap on a Buzzwole cuz you can take ko's without choice band anyways against a Zoroark. if anyone has any more thoughts or ideas I would appreciate the help :]

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
Join the mainstream, play Garbodor :]

That or use the original Mewtwo EX. 1 DCE should be enough to K.O. Mew if it already has Energy attached to it. It hits for weakness unlike Tapu Lele GX.

uncleyuri

~
I would defer to people with more experience with the deck but if you see mew I’d try to go in with Lycanroc. Rogue GX if you have to and then go for a KO on a Zoroark with it’s normal attack next turn (assuming they are playing Zoroark, which seems to be the case with Mew).

F4H_Jay

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Play one zygarde ex, with garb becoming popluar again, its a good tech as its weakness is grass. Gives you another bulky fighting type that can deal with mew ex and mewtwo.

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
I really shouldn't encourage this, but a Mew of your own with a choice band would KO an opposing Mew with Jet Punch

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
I would defer to people with more experience with the deck but if you see mew I’d try to go in with Lycanroc. Rogue GX if you have to and then go for a KO on a Zoroark with it’s normal attack next turn (assuming they are playing Zoroark, which seems to be the case with Mew).
you can claw slash the mew if you have regirock in play, or a strong energy on your lycanroc

I really shouldn't encourage this, but a Mew of your own with a choice band would KO an opposing Mew with Jet Punch
I don't really see the need for a mew of your own, mewtwo does the job much better to KO buzzwole's since it's a 1 prize attacker
come to think of it, if their mew has a DCE(which it usually will) on it you can knock it out with mewtwo

I don't really see the need for a mew of your own, mewtwo does the job much better since it's a 1 prize attacker
Play one zygarde ex, with garb becoming popluar again, its a good tech as its weakness is grass. Gives you another bulky fighting type that can deal with mew ex and mewtwo.
I've been playing around with Zygarde and have liked the bonus it adds to the deck, while you already have lycanroc to do a similar job to zygarde with claw slash, you can max elexir onto zygarde and it can take ko's on zoroarks with 2 energy(well, lycanroc can do the same with its GX attack)

Did I really just add in a multi quote? oops

Join the mainstream, play Garbodor :]

That or use the original Mewtwo EX. 1 DCE should be enough to K.O. Mew if it already has Energy attached to it. It hits for weakness unlike Tapu Lele GX.
I don't really like how Buzz/Garb play's, I understand it's the better choice for this meta, but I have a lot more fun with Buzz/Roc (and knowing I'm most likely not making top 8, I'd rather play a deck I enjoy more)

One of the top decklist ran a thin alolan muk line so you could try that
could you link me to the decklist?

Last edited by a moderator:

F4H_Jay

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member

You could just play baby mew as it accomplishes the same feat and as a one prize attacker that has free retreat.

I played this at first, but went away with as zygarde ex was more favorable in my testing.

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
You could just play baby mew as it accomplishes the same feat and as a one prize attacker that has free retreat.

I played this at first, but went away with as zygarde ex was more favorable in my testing.
I think I've decided that Mewtwo can 1 shot a Mew EX , but what I made this thread for was how to stop a mew from ever doing the damage in the first place, almost anything in the deck can 1-shot the Mew one it has attacked, but I need to stop it before it attcks.
@AuraJackle
i like the idea of the alolan muk line, the one problem with it is space. I don't know what I would take out for it

semurphy444

Aspiring Trainer
but I need to stop it before it attcks

Most of the time your opponent isnt going to pull out a Mew-EX on their 1st turn Brigette...Once you have a fully loaded Buzzwole-they'll promote a Koko or something with a Float; Play UB- dig for Mew-EX, attach energy for turn to that Poke, and come out and OHKO a Buzzwole.

If you're looking to prevent that above scenario from playing out- (Other than stacking their prize cards) I think you're needing to block abilities- Muk, Garb or (hehe...) Glaceon-GX; Or I guess you could really crazy and play Xurkitree-GX with a Rainbow Energy- and hope he has Mew-EX in hand- and just put it into the prizes?

Not only are you having to commit deck space to a Muk line, but also in game resources- your T1 Brigette might be a Remoraid,Grimer,Buzzwole... I think retaliation KO's are the best course- I've been having success with a Buzz/Zoroark deck that plays more like Buzz/Lycanroc- But I do tech in a Mew-EX of my own, but I do have the option to KO a Mew-EX with Riotous Beating.

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
Most of the time your opponent isn't going to pull out a Mew-EX on their 1st turn Brigette...Once you have a fully loaded Buzzwole-they'll promote a Koko or something with a Float; Play UB- dig for Mew-EX, attach energy for turn to that Poke, and come out and OHKO a Buzzwole.

If you're looking to prevent that above scenario from playing out- (Other than stacking their prize cards) I think you're needing to block abilities- Muk, Garb or (hehe...) Glaceon-GX; Or I guess you could really crazy and play Xurkitree-GX with a Rainbow Energy- and hope he has Mew-EX in hand- and just put it into the prizes?

Not only are you having to commit deck space to a Muk line, but also in-game resources- your T1 Brigette might be a Remoraid, Grimer, Buzzwole... I think retaliation KO's are the best course- I've been having success with a Buzz/Zoroark deck that plays more like Buzz/Lycanroc- But I do tech in a Mew-EX of my own, but I do have the option to KO a Mew-EX with Riotous Beating.
I think I've come to a good conclusion, the opponent can KO my Buzzwole, then I can retaliate with Mewtwo KO'ing their Mew(Mewtwo takes the KO using psychic if mew has a DCE or just 2 energy) if they KO the Mewtwo it's fine, it forces them on a seventh prize(or if you want a more literal 7th prize like you said, just play Xurkitree
when I've been testing, the Mew sweep really can turn games, so another Idea I had was to play more Zygarde, Lycanroc, and Sudawoodo-based in the mid to late game after getting my jet punches in, all three of these mons can kill zoroarks while not getting 1-shotted by mew(exept for Sudawoodo, but lets be fair, who WOULD KO a Sudawoodo with their Mew?)
"Most of the time your opponent isn't going to pull out a Mew-EX on their 1st turn Brigette": yep, it's actually against the rules, well you can get only ONE pokemon EX from a Bridgette, so the opponent would be stupid to get the mew
Also, Buzz/Roc doesn't do T1 Bridgette, it has brooklet hill to get your mons out

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Buzzrocs were already playing baby Mewtwo for Mew-EX since Oceania, so now that Buzzwole is even more popular gives that baby Mewtwo more power. Zygarde is pretty underwhelming considering it 2HKOs stuff for 2 Energy in a format where Pokemon can do it for 1. It's especially underwhelming when you can attach the extra Energy and take prizes with Buzzwole. If Zygarde's 3rd attack was any more damage, it would a much better card. 110+Strong+Regirock+Choice Band=170. But maxxing out at 160 is pretty bad for the amount of Energy getting devoted to it. And already having Lycanroc which does do 110 for the same Energy, having a 2-Energy attack that OHKOs your target most of the time, being bulkier, having less retreat, Bloodthirsty Eyes, AND on top of everything else, the same weakness as Zygarde. I can't even say that Zygarde is useful early game because Buzzwole with Regirock+Strong KOs the little guys on the field. I'm going off topic, but I'll conclude that Zygarde doesn't do much, and essentially wastes deck space, baby Mewtwo(Mew is actually really good too) is a strong Mew-EX and mirror counter, and you essentially can't prevent Mew from attacking in the first place. If you could reliably do that, Zoroark wouldn't use it as a counter.

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
Buzzrocs were already playing baby Mewtwo for Mew-EX since Oceania, so now that Buzzwole is even more popular gives that baby Mewtwo more power. Zygarde is pretty underwhelming considering it 2HKOs stuff for 2 Energy in a format where Pokemon can do it for 1. It's especially underwhelming when you can attach the extra Energy and take prizes with Buzzwole. If Zygarde's 3rd attack was any more damage, it would a much better card. 110+Strong+Regirock+Choice Band=170. But maxxing out at 160 is pretty bad for the amount of Energy getting devoted to it. And already having Lycanroc which does do 110 for the same Energy, having a 2-Energy attack that OHKOs your target most of the time, being bulkier, having less retreat, Bloodthirsty Eyes, AND on top of everything else, the same weakness as Zygarde. I can't even say that Zygarde is useful early game because Buzzwole with Regirock+Strong KOs the little guys on the field. I'm going off topic, but I'll conclude that Zygarde doesn't do much, and essentially wastes deck space, baby Mewtwo(Mew is actually really good too) is a strong Mew-EX and mirror counter, and you essentially can't prevent Mew from attacking in the first place. If you could reliably do that, Zoroark wouldn't use it as a counter.
I thought the Mewtwo was mainly for dealing with other buzzwoles

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
Zygarde is really useful in KOing Zoroarks

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Zygarde is really useful in KOing Zoroarks
But literally EVERY attacker in the deck can do that. But Zoroark is played among other cards, and one of them in particular, Golisopod, takes a free prize out of Zygarde, and already gives Buzzwole trouble because Guard Press makes it more trouble to OHKO, and OHKOs Lycanroc. Also, baby Mewtwo is used in Buzzroc for other Buzzwole, AND Mew-EX. If Mew-EX has a single Energy, Psychic KOs it with a Choice Band. But more than likely, it will have a DCE attached, so Psychic can KO it without a Band. And then Zoroark can't revenge KO without Kukui with any attacker.

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
But literally EVERY attacker in the deck can do that. But Zoroark is played among other cards, and one of them in particular, Golisopod, takes a free prize out of Zygarde, and already gives Buzzwole trouble because Guard Press makes it more trouble to OHKO, and OHKOs Lycanroc. Also, baby Mewtwo is used in Buzzroc for other Buzzwole, AND Mew-EX. If Mew-EX has a single Energy, Psychic KOs it with a Choice Band. But more than likely, it will have a DCE attached, so Psychic can KO it without a Band. And then Zoroark can't revenge KO without Kukui with any attacker.
the problem with buzzwole is takinf=g a KO with knuckle impact makes you not be able to attack your next turn, this is resettable with guzma, but you won't always have that option. a GX attack is also something you don't want to waste on a zoroark. while it is true that you can claw slash a zoroark for the KO, lycanroc is a stage 1, you can't max elixir on it, and it takes 3 energy, Zygarde can KO a zoroark with a choice band and a strong energy if it only has 2 energy on it. Zygarde is also useful in the early game for when you have a strong energy, but not a regirock, this does warrant there is a stadium in play, but this is easily doable since you run 3 brooklet hill

andrew mahone runs Zygarde

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
the problem with buzzwole is takinf=g a KO with knuckle impact makes you not be able to attack your next turn, this is resettable with guzma, but you won't always have that option. a GX attack is also something you don't want to waste on a zoroark. while it is true that you can claw slash a zoroark for the KO, lycanroc is a stage 1, you can't max elixir on it, and it takes 3 energy, Zygarde can KO a zoroark with a choice band and a strong energy if it only has 2 energy on it. Zygarde is also useful in the early game for when you have a strong energy, but not a regirock, this does warrant there is a stadium in play, but this is easily doable since you run 3 brooklet hill
And if you have Brooklet Hill in play, you easily have access to Regirock.
good point
you can use the second attack as a jet punch to KO pokemon with more health though

Last edited:

KK-Swizzle

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
in my opinion, mew-ex is only good if it doesn't get immediately KO'd. it's so fragile as a 2 prize attacker that it kind of works in your favor as far as the prize trade is concerned if you can take it out right away. like gumball was saying, the evo mewtwo with 2 energy switch seems like a decent option, though i have to wonder if running 2 watch and learn sudowoodo would accomplish just as much...it revenge KO's a mew ex and a big buzzwole almost as good as evo mewtwo and would have more utility against other random stuff you might come up against (vika/bulu, dusk mane necrozma, maybe even evil admonition weavile if you're feeling spicy). I don't run a lot of buzzwole, but if I did, I think my first move would be to play 2 sudowoodo and make sure to get one down with an energy on it early in any zoroark matchup. Seems like a win-win, if they guzma KO your sudowoodo you still have your main attacker, if they bring in mew-ex, you copy the copy of riotous beating for an easy 2 prizes with a one prize attacker