Discussion How to Beat ZoroPod with Espeon Garb?

triplemo

Aspiring Trainer
Any techs I could play? Is it a matter of playstyle. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Ideas:
  • Reshiram SHL
  • PoTown & Espeon-EX
  • ?

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Reshiram is probably your best bet, but even that's kinda sketchy. Give it a shot and see how it works.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Doesn't Trashalanche hit Zoroark super hard? If you play the 1 Drampa and 2 Trashalanche, that matchup is at least 50-50 If not, tilting in your favor.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Zoroark has psychic resistance so no it does not hit hard
Zoroark. Dude. The deck literally plays more items than anything else. The -20 off the 200+ damage before Band and Psybeam does not make a significant enough difference in KOs to matter.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Zoroark. Dude. The deck literally plays more items than anything else. The -20 off the 200+ damage before Band and Psybeam does not make a significant enough difference in KOs to matter.
Just because they have a lot of items in deck doesn’t mean they are all going to be put in the discard pile. Zoroark is consistent enough that it doesn’t have to go item heavy if it doesnt want to.

Plus they know your playing Garbador

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Just because they have a lot of items in deck doesn’t mean they are all going to be put in the discard pile. Zoroark is consistent enough that it doesn’t have to go item heavy if it doesnt want to.

Plus they know your playing Garbador
That doesn't make the matchup any easier for them. Even if it only chips, if you can get even 110 on Zoroark before you go in with Espeon, you can knock it out with the big boy who can't be immediately KO'd. And they have to deal with Garbotoxin too, so under ability lock, they can't just not play items and expect to win. Playing a supporter every turn and hoping to draw exactly what they need doesn't help the Zoroark player in any way. If you Divide turn 2 to KO a Zorua and 40 to another Zorua/ Zoroark, you already put yourself ahead in the game, then proceed to lock them out of Trade, Wonder Tag, and Versatile. Garbodor(Trashalanche) is a late game janitor, not something you randomly set up to do 60 damage.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Zoroark-Golisopod is currently my main Standard deck, but I've been testing Espeon-Garbodor a lot lately in hopes of making it my new #1 tournament deck. IMO, to beat Zoroark-Golisopod, consider utilizing a few techs like:

Tapu Koko (Flying Flip - 1st attacker if board is set properly at beginning of game)
Po Town - definitely
Enhanced Hammer - at least 2
3-4 Acerola - to extend the life of your Espeon GX to 3+ HKO
Bodybuilding Barbells - to extend the life of your Trash Garbodor to 2HKO
Drampa GX - to help remove opponent's Special energy

IMO, the Espeon EX is not that effective in the Zoroark-Golisopod match-up since most Zoroark-Golisopod players run 3 or 4 Acerola.

Reshiram is too situational, even when you do run Ninja Boy. Otherwise,the Zoroark-Golisopod player can just Guzma around it.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

uncleyuri

~
It’s a tough match up. Ideally you want to get down parallel City and ability lock as early as possible. Zoroark is so good because of trade so if you turn that off you can limit their resources.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Espy Garb plays Tauros for Zoruas now. If they attack once into it with Zoroark, they basically kill their own Pokemon.

koala

Aspiring Trainer
yea I think you just have to use drampa/tauros to win + a late garbodor. also just pray they dont have/topdeck field blower when u have garbotoxin up.. you cant really use espeongx against them because of their high guzma/acerola count.. also an early parallel can bait out a field blower

SupahGassy

Aspiring Trainer
In my experience hitting them with parallel and having an early tauros to KO zoruas and threaten a mad bull is hard on them. Mid game you want to be using drampa to righteous edge dce's away and disrupt them enough to make them play items so that garb can get big hits off on things like Leles etc. all the while it is important to keep your garbotoxin intact. It's a very strategic match to win but not impossible.

Jacob Parr

Aspiring Trainer
Going from experience, keep it a 3-3 eevee esp, and a 4 trubbish - 2 garbotoxin and 2 trash. Also remember to have something you can bring floats out the discard. It can be beaten but it is a hard match up regardless of what tech you play. I would also potentially recommend pal pad with 4 Guzma, forcing Golisopod into the active or another pokemon that isn't free retreat can help loads. Also, it has been mentioned before but I would take drampa over tauros any day. One or two Acerola doesn't hurt. Not always what you want to play but can potentially save you in a pinch.