Discussion How the 7th generation dissapointed me...

GeniDude

Lucario-trainer
Hi! I`m a life-long Pokèmon-fan, and I`ve usually loved and completed all the main-line games, however, Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon dissapointed me...

My favorite thing about the Pokèmon-games is the focus on the trainer and his/her Pokèmon. I actually did not mind HMs, as they made your Pokèmon more than soldiers in battle, but they also helped you through the world. I also loved how the goal of the game was to become the best trainer, by fighting against other, stronger trainers, and proving your worth. In the 7th generation, the focus is on different gameplay-gimmicks with wild Pokèmon, as well as random Pokèmon being able to help you whenever. This, to me, lessens the importance of the Pokèmon in your team, which, at least for me, lessens the experience.

Don`t get me wrong, I am not saying that these are bad games, just that they dissapoint me as a fan of the franchise.

Did anyone else feel this way?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
You might have a point with the idea that the focus in these games has changed to certain gimmicks and random Pokemon, but I don't think that is the real problem of these games. I think that the main problem with the game is attempting to be fresh and new, while in reality, it is just the same old thing, and the only "new" thing is the missing gyms, which is a questionable move on their part, since the alternative is not very far away from the process we had with the gym and is just less fun and engaging. I really rather fighting a gym leader and their maze, instead of fighting one Pokemon with higher HP than usual.

Jonathan Jung

Meta is the Meta
I LOVED soul silver, still do, it just had so much to do, pokeathlons, gym leader rematches, battle frontier.

The new games get stale too fast.

Mitja

veteran smartass
Interesting, I had the impression that all the inetraction with overworld Pokémon made the games the most immersive yet and Alola the region that has felt the most "alive" so far o:

I wonder if that would still have been what disappoints you about gen7 if they added more inetractions with your own team?
For example if Pokémon Refresh felt more like you are interacting with your Pokémon on the spot, rather than in some separate mode.
Or if your starter would show up in dialogue scenes every now and then.
Etc.