Event Going to First Regionals

RCRACER24

Aspiring Trainer
So im planning on going to the first regionals ive been to, and actually the first pokemon tourney of any kind period. Been playing everything online. Was wanting to know what the rules were for the following:

Sleeves
Dice
Signing up
Writing opponents cards down when they are reveled

I have played in tons of Mtg tourneys this size with their competitive and pro rules so im not new in that area, just want to know what to expect when i go to a pokemon one. Thanks for the help.

TorchHG

Aspiring Trainer
As for sleeves, officially rules say that you can only use either Official Pokemon Sleeves (like from Elite Trainer Boxes, basically ones you can buy from Pokemon Center) or Solid Colored Opaque Sleeves (Like Ultra Pro, Dragon Shield, etc.). Most people I know really like Dragon Shield Matte Sleeves, including myself, as they shuffle very smoothly when doing riffle shuffles.

Dice. You may use them as damage counters and use them for coin flips. They caveat here is whatever you use for damage counters, the "coin" dice or die must be a different size (recommended usually a larger die). There's also TC Evolution dice that are really nice stainless steel dice that include larger numbers (70-120, 130-180. even 190-240) that help reduce the number of dice on a single card which has been helpful for me.

Sign ups: this really varies from regional to regional, so you'll have to go to the tournament page to see what the process is. Both of the regionals I've been to have had online sign ups, and Madison had Online check in, too where submitting your decklist made you ready for your first round. If you're wondering about actual getting a badge to get in the door (or that kind of sign up), they're all online. It might take a little looking for the page, but if you google which regional you go to, you should be able to find their website. Do note that these regionals are not directly run by Pokemon, so the website registration will not be on Pokemon's website.

As for note-taking, I'm a little fuzzy as not too many people do that. What is stated in the rules, though, is that you may write down any notes based on what actions have been made in the game, at the beginning of a match your note-sheet must be blank, and a judge may come over and ask for explanation as to what your notes mean. I'm not exactly sure why some of those stipulations are made but can only assume that they are to prevent cheating.

Let me know if you need any clarification! Hopefully this was helpful.

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
There used to be a rule somewhere that said if you used a die for randomization it needed to be clear, be free of imperfections and bubbles, and have rounded edges. I can't find it any of the newer documents. I actually can't remember if it was written down or was just something we agreed on in the OP forum near a decade ago.

Here's the policy on note taking from the Tournament Rules guide section 9

9. Note Taking
Players may take written notes during a match and may refer to those notes at any time
during that match. Players may choose not to share these notes with other players, but a
judge may ask to see a player’s notes and request an explanation if needed. A player’s note
sheet must be completely free of text, handwritten or otherwise, at the start of each match.

Players must be timely with their note taking and may not use a device that can send or
receive messages as a note-taking device. A player may not refer to notes taken during
previous rounds while the tournament is still in progress. Written notes taken during a match
may not be given to other players during the tournament.

Because a judge may ask to see a player’s notes while a match is in progress, the use of
codes, ciphers, abbreviations, or any other method of obscuring the meaning of the
information is not permitted. Additionally, notes taken by a player may not contain
misinformation intended to deceive tournament staff. Should a judge request clarification, or
a translation for notes written in a language not spoken by tournament staff, the player must
oblige.

"Written notes take during a match may not be given to other players during the tournament": I'm not clear on how extensive this is. Does it mean you can't give the written notes to players, or can you also not share the information you wrote verbally with others as well?

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
So im planning

on going to the first regionals ive been to, and actually the first pokemon tourney of any kind period. Been playing everything online. Was wanting to know what the rules were for the following:

Sleeves
Dice
Signing up

I have played in tons of Mtg tourneys this size with their competitive and pro rules so im not new in that area, just want to know what to expect when i go to a pokemon one. Thanks for the help.

Congrats on your commitment on going to your first regional. It's going to be a doozy,

Before we get into it, I would HIGHLY recommend you read up on the Pokemon guidelines and penalty guidelines as they have all your answers and more. But for sake of what you asked, let's get to it:

Two answers:

- official Pokemon sleeves (from the Pokemon Center stores)
- Single color sleeves

The Pokemon Center sleeves are a bit expensive, but have artsy-fartsy pictures. I wouldn’t use them because if there is a mistake in the ink on one of your sleeves and get deck checked, you could get dinged for marked cards. That and I personally don't like the quality of the sleeves and I have them either double or triple sleeved.

For a regional, buy an all new pack of sleeves and only start using them the day of the event. The sleeve backs can't be reflective, so matte sleeves it is.

As far as quality, I'd high;y recommend Dragon Shield sleeves.

Just, whatever you do, DO NOT use Clear sleeves. Absolutely highly discouraged.

Dice have to fill out certain criteria:

- Transparent
- rounded edges
- an appropriate size that can be distinguied between dice used as damage counters and the dice you would use for coin flips
- numbers on all opposite ends must add up to 7
- one side may have custom etching in place of the 1 or the 6, both players must approve of the die being used.

Lots of criteria, but the solution is simple. The dice used for coin flips come in the Elite Trainer boxes. If you don't want to spend that much just for some dice, check out the marketplace here or at local tournament venues. Some shops have the large dice plus 4 damage counter dice for sale.

Signing up

This is a bit tricky, organizers utilize certain Facebook groups to get more of the word out about events and details about them. At least, thats been the only avenue I have seen effectively used for knowing what is happening, when to sign up, when entry rates go up, etc.

I wrote notes every match in Dallas this year.

At the start of every match, you have to use a NEW BLANK PAGE. Don't use the back of another paper, a whole new sheet.

The time you use to take notes cannot impede on the match, so if you're a slow writer, this may not go well depending on what youre writing and the detail of notes.

Any judge can ask to see your notes. No code or ciphers. If a judge asks for clarification, you have to give it to them.

MUST be pencil and paper notes. No electronic devices can be used at all--especially for taking notes.

Pokemedic cited the entire guideline for it, so go off of that.

Last edited: