Discussion Floating Issue

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
Barring something weird in the next set after Forbidden Light, Float Stone is going to rotate out at the end of the season. With a card like Dawn Wings Necrozma GX becoming a staple, this poses an issue. How will we retreat after Float Stone goes away? Personally I think Pokemon is forcing us to get a little more creative and strategic with our decks. I think Switch is likely going to become a staple in some decks or even Warp Energy in some cases.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I would personally see the lack of free splashable retreat a much-needed shift in meta, actually - Float Stone/Rush In tactics basically defeat the purpose of a retreat cost, after all. Guzma's in-built switch effect does somewhat mitigate the need for other methods of switching, I'd say. Depending on whether the meta slows more (thus favouring more defensive strategies), we might find that a Super Scoop Up and Guzma "switch core" would work rather consistency. They serve as an effect switch out in a pinch, yet aren't essentially dead cards outside of that, since they have dual functionality.

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
I am with you on your first sentence. As I mentioned, I see it as a way to force people to think about not only how they build a deck but also play as well. Can't just switch in all the time since you now have finite resources for that. I am lucky in the fact that my main deck (Ninetales/Zoroark) doesn't need float stones and so those slots can go to other items or supporters.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
There's one set after forbidden light so it's possible there will be and if there's not learn to adjust. Float stone leaving the format will not have nearly the effect that vs seeker leaving did and escape board is a more balanced alternative at least

atulsimn09

Aspiring Trainer
Personally I think Pokemon is forcing us to get a little more creative and strategic with our decks. I think Switch is likely going to become a staple in some decks or even Warp Energy in some cases.

Bring happiness in Life with Positive Affirmations Audio and Lots more ...

Last edited:

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
So specifically for Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX, I have a couple suggestions. Firstly, There may be a new card in the next set or 2 before the next rotation to SM-on, which may replace Float Stone perfectly fine (or maybe even a Float Stone reprint but that's highly unlikely). In the sets we have as of the timing of this post (until Ultra Prism), We have Silvally-GX which gives free retreat to DW Necrozma, which I saw someone online use alongside Golisopod for constant 120 energy-efficient damage without the need for Float Stone or even Guzma, which I found to be a really creative build for it. It was just that one game I saw it, and I was playing a Rogue Delphox deck against it but it was still something!

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
Lets just make it a new rule nothing has a retreat cost. Float stone going away isn't a issue. I like that idral of no float stone.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
Most decks run at least one card with a one retreat cost so escape board can replace float stone as a Guzma pivot which is about 50% of the purpose of float stones these days, Koko also remains a very easily teched free retreat with a lot of utility so you might see more people benching it as a pivot. Guzma stalling (the other major purpose of having a float stone) will be more common, some other retreat cost cards like altar of the moone might see play. It's an indirect buff to ability based retreat options like Solgaleo-GX and Silvally GX as well.