• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Convenience for the Community (A List of Standard Budget Decks)

PokemonTCGLover

Aspiring Trainer
I have come up with a Slowbro from BUS deck, not very good with prices sorry.

If you dont know already, Slowking (BUS) is a Psychic-type 120HP Pokemon which has 2 attacks. Its first attack, for one Psychic energy, allows you to search your deck for a card and put it into your hand. Although not really relevant, it can be good for early-game setup (even though your opponent can N it away). The second attack does 110 damage and says, if you have no cards in your hand, ignore all energy in this attack's cost. The goal of this deck is to get all the cards out of your hand using ultra balls and plumerias, then attack for 110 FOR FREE, while piling on more damage with poison barb and free attackers like alolan rattata.

POKEMON 15

3× Slowking BUS
3× Slowpoke BKP (Water type allows a different type weakness and to use opponent's Brooklet hill to your advantage)
3× alolan rattata SUM
4× Seviper BUS
2× marshadow SHL

TRAINERS 42

4× Ilima (Cheaper N, can also replace with N)
4× Lillie/Cynthia/Sycamore (you choose)
4×ultra ball
4× plumeria
4×poison barb
3×altar of the moone
1×rescue stretcher
4×enhanced hammer
4×crushing hammer
4×bursting balloon?
2×field blower

ENERGY 7

7 Psychic Basic Energy (For first slowking attack and maybe seviper? Or replace 3 with Trainers of your choice.)

Thanks for reading! Please let me know how it does and any changes!

@AFEX, could you upload this to the main page? Thanks!

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
I have come up with a Slowbro from BUS deck, not very good with prices sorry.

If you dont know already, Slowking (BUS) is a Psychic-type 120HP Pokemon which has 2 attacks. Its first attack, for one Psychic energy, allows you to search your deck for a card and put it into your hand. Although not really relevant, it can be good for early-game setup (even though your opponent can N it away). The second attack does 110 damage and says, if you have no cards in your hand, ignore all energy in this attack's cost. The goal of this deck is to get all the cards out of your hand using ultra balls and plumerias, then attack for 110 FOR FREE, while piling on more damage with poison barb and free attackers like alolan rattata.

POKEMON 15

3× Slowking BUS
3× Slowpoke BKP (Water type allows a different type weakness and to use opponent's Brooklet hill to your advantage)
3× alolan rattata SUM
4× Seviper BUS
2× marshadow SHL

TRAINERS 42

4× Ilima (Cheaper N, can also replace with N)
4× Lillie/Cynthia/Sycamore (you choose)
4×ultra ball
4× plumeria
4×poison barb
3×altar of the moone
1×rescue stretcher
4×enhanced hammer
4×crushing hammer
4×bursting balloon?
2×field blower

ENERGY 7

7 Psychic Basic Energy (For first slowking attack and maybe seviper? Or replace 3 with Trainers of your choice.)

Thanks for reading! Please let me know how it does and any changes!

@AFEX, could you upload this to the main page? Thanks!

Will do! Should be up in a few hours, to about 2 days.

PokemonTCGLover

Aspiring Trainer
Here is a deck based on a Pokemon from Ultra Prism, so it is not technically Standard...but it will be! Deck-testing has to be done with Japanese cards which I do not have.

If you don't know already, Luxray (ULTRA PRISM) is a Stage 2 Pokemon. The basic stage pokemon is Shinx, which has an ability that says, if you start second, you may evolve this pokemon on your first turn. After evolving, it becomes Luxio (ULP?), which has a move that does 30 damage for 1 colourless energy and says, your opponent cannot play any Item cards from their hand during their next turn. Luxray itself has an ability that says if it takes 30 less damage from attacks. Its attack , for one colourless energy and 2 lightning energy, says discard all lightning energy from this Pokemon to do 150 damage to one of your opponent's pokemon. Better than that, it has free retreat! The goal of this deck is to always go second (if your opponent chooses, he or she will almost always go first. However if you win the coin flip, choose to go second), in order to set up as many luxios and rare candy luxrays as possible (try for luxio first) Then hit for 30 until you win with item lock. Sometimes luxray can be a late game winner, striking a flying flipped tapu lele gx and KOing it for 2 prizes.

POKEMON 18

3× tapu koko flying flip
4×Shinx ULP
4× Luxio ULP
3× Luxray
2× tapu koko gx
2×marshadow SHL

TRAINERS 30

4× Sycamore/Cynthia/ Shauna
3×Ilima/N
2×Rescue Stretcher/Super Rod
4×ultra ball
3×rare candy
4×nest ball
2×PFC/Brigette
2×guzma
3×evosoda
3×random receiver

ENERGY 12

4×DCE
8×Lightning Basic Energy

Thank you for reading! This deck has 0 deck-testing due to the lack of japanese-reading skills. Please test it out!(the English set has not been released so japanese cards are the only option...)

I hope it's not too much trouble for you, @AFEX, but could you upload this to the main page too? Thanks!

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
Was messing around with stuff I had lying around in the TCG Online (haven't used it in a while) and somehow managed to find a Lele-less formula that worked. So I analyzed it and came up with additions and improvements based on prior knowledge; here is my "Shatter Shotgun" deck:

Note: Prices from TCGPlayer. Prices are that of all copies together.
Pokemon (18)
4 Cosmog SUM ($0.56)
4 Cosmoem SUM ($1.36)
2 Lunala GRI ($0.32)
2 Lunala GX SUM ($4.94)
2 Rayquaza GRI ($0.52)
2 Drampa GRI ($0.50)
2 Mewtwo EVO ($0.76)

Trainers (30)
4 Ultra Ball SUM ($1.64)
4 Nest Ball SUM ($0.92)
4 Choice Band GRI ($3.04)
2 Energy Retrieval SUM ($0.20)
2 Field Blower GRI ($0.52)
2 Evosoda GEN ($2.90)
2 Rare Candy SUM ($1.82)
2 Energy Recycler GRI ($0.20)
2 N FCO ($7.16)
2 Shauna FCO ($0.32)
2 Guzma BUS ($3.92)
2 Altar of the Moone GRI ($0.26)

Energy (12)
8 Psychic ($0.80)
4 Double Colorless SUM ($2.40)

Total Cost: $35.06

Really cheap, but this thing can rip apart GX-reliant decks if played right through sheer, raw power alone.
  • The main goal of this deck is to get a Lunala GRI onto the field with four or more energies, and preferably with a Choice Band in tow, and start ripping things apart with Shatter Shot. If you play the other cards right, you can easily get 200+ damage per turn. If it's about to die, use Wings of the Moone to dump energies onto a replacement or replacements, then if that turns out not to be the case, use Lunala GX's ability to put them back on (and maybe use it again, just in case).
  • Most cards in this deck revolve around energy efficiency. Lunala GX's ability lets you freely move Psychic energies around and can snipe the bench with Lunar Fall GX. Drampa can have either a Psychic or Double Colorless Energy shoved onto it, get some energies out quicker, then use its attack to pass an energy onto Lunala GRI. Mewtwo can stall for turns with Reflect and deal decent damage with Psychic. Rayquaza pulls energies out of the discard and can also be powered up with a Double Colorless.
  • This theme continues into the trainer cards. Nest Ball and Ultra Ball help pull out the required suspects (usually Cosmoem and/or Lunala) while Evosoda and Rare Candy make evolving faster. Energy Recycler pairs well with Drampa in that it can pull large amounts of energy out with just two cards.
  • N and Guzma are standard disruption, while Shauna helps patch up bad hands (but replace it with Cynthia once Ultra Prism comes out, since Cynthia's just plain better). Altar of the Moone helps lighten retreat costs.
Basically, if you just want to overwhelm your opponent with damage that often doesn't even care about resistance (up to and including OHKOing Metagross GX), this Hidden Moon with Cranky's Blessing has you covered. It does frequently struggle with Dark decks depending on yours and your opponent's draws, but is nonetheless incredibly powerful for its price.

TheAman

Aspiring Trainer
Sure, I believe there is already a list for Alolan Ninetales GX on the front page of this thread (fourth from the top) that should work pretty well. Also, if you want a list with proven results, I believe the first place winner of November's PokeBeach PTCGO Tournament played Alolan Ninetales GX, so you could take a look there for more information. Strategy mainly includes using Brigette to set up Vulpixs and attack with Tapu Koko (PR) early. As you set up Ninetales GXs, use Aqua patch to accelerate energy and hit for big numbers with Ice Blade and Blizzard Edge. Price (at an estimate) would be around $55.00-$75.00 without Tapu Lele GX (but it does include staples like N, Guzma, Brigette, etc.).I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else. Good luck!

For what it's worth, I just built the Ninetales deck that's on this thread, and it came out to $60 using TCGPlayer.

Attix

For what it's worth, I just built the Ninetales deck that's on this thread, and it came out to $60 using TCGPlayer.

I was building the same deck and at one point pulled a Full Art Field Blower from a random booster pack, which I then traded for some deck components plus a couple Bulus. Definitely shaved a few bucks off my total cost :)

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
I was building the same deck and at one point pulled a Full Art Field Blower from a random booster pack, which I then traded for some deck components plus a couple Bulus. Definitely shaved a few bucks off my total cost :)

GG

Boomer34

Aspiring Trainer
Very helpful thread here...thanks for all the insights. Both me and my 7 year old son are new to PTCG (1 week in) and very excited about getting going with building some custom decks...we went through a trainer set and currently playing with one of the Battle sets, but now ready to build our own decks and be able to play in some tournaments. Knowing my costs will be doubled, it is an easy decision to not splurge and put lele's in his decks, and I'm 50/50 currently on if I will do that, so this thread has given me some great ideas. A few posts back, it was also helpful to see some potential sets for a younger kid to play and continue to learn with.

So I would love any continued feedback on how I should go about building a deck for my young son and myself as well...

Great community here...glad I found this forum!

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Very helpful thread here...thanks for all the insights. Both me and my 7 year old son are new to PTCG (1 week in) and very excited about getting going with building some custom decks...we went through a trainer set and currently playing with one of the Battle sets, but now ready to build our own decks and be able to play in some tournaments. Knowing my costs will be doubled, it is an easy decision to not splurge and put lele's in his decks, and I'm 50/50 currently on if I will do that, so this thread has given me some great ideas. A few posts back, it was also helpful to see some potential sets for a younger kid to play and continue to learn with.

So I would love any continued feedback on how I should go about building a deck for my young son and myself as well...

Thanks!

Of all the decks that I've added here, (for your 7 year old, or the both of you) I would suggest Alolan Ninetales GX, as it's very easy to pick up and play. I'm sure if you asked most of the people on this thread, they would probably say the same thing.
It could take some practice to get competitive with, but none-the-less it won't take too much devotion to nail the strategy you want to use.

The Last Shaymin

Floof

I would say to spend about $3 on a couple of marshadow SHL because they are are some cheap replacements to tapu lele.

Boomer34

Aspiring Trainer
That sounds good...another thing I didn't mention, was we are currently living in Beirut. So there is just one local shop that just started carrying PTCG stuff (so selection is small and a bit pricey, with no singles)...and you can't really get things mailed here that easily. So we have some visitors coming from the US in about 3 weeks, so I am going to have to do some online shopping and have it all nailed down for them to bring over to us.

pikachuuuu101

Custom Title
That sounds good...another thing I didn't mention, was we are currently living in Beirut. So there is just one local shop that just started carrying PTCG stuff (so selection is small and a bit pricey, with no singles)...and you can't really get things mailed here that easily. So we have some visitors coming from the US in about 3 weeks, so I am going to have to do some online shopping and have it all nailed down for them to bring over to us.
How is there a league in your city if there is no card shop? unless you are just planing to play against friends, I don't understand

Boomer34

Aspiring Trainer
There is a card shop that has just in the last 3-4 months officially started carrying Pokemon...they told me they are planning to do official type tournaments in the coming months...but as of now, its just players meeting up there to play.

pikachuuuu101

Custom Title
There is a card shop that has just in the last 3-4 months officially started carrying Pokemon...they told me they are planning to do official type tournaments in the coming months...but as of now, its just players meeting up there to play.
Sounds cool! I wish you luck in your future pokemon endeavours, and I hope you found this thread helpful

Attix

I was playing around with the Alolan Ninetales GX deck, which only has 57 cards so you can add 3 cards. I found a Pokémon that works well with this deck: Burning Shadows Kingdra. You can combo it with A-Ninetale's Ice Blade attack by using Brine (90 damage to any Pokémon with damage counters on it) to create a deadly bench-hitting menace, and if you're really feeling sadistic you can put Tapu Koko in there somewhere and have it Flying Flip a whole bunch of weakened Pokémon and win the game. You can also use Tornado Shot to hit the opponent and damage something on the bench; you do have to discard an energy, but you can Aqua Patch the next turn to get it back. Plus, it only asks for one Water energy for its attacks, so it's easy to set up.

So fill the remaining three cards with a Kingdra line:

+1 Horsea BUS
+1 Seadra BUS
+1 Kingdra BUS

Then make the following changes:

-1 Remoraid BKT
-1 Octillery BKT
-1 Alolan Vulpix GRI

+1 Horsea BUS
+1 Seadra BUS
+1 Kingdra BUS

To get this:

* 2 Rayquaza GRI 106
* 3 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 3 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 22
* 1 Glaceon-EX FAC 20
* 2 Manaphy-EX BKP 116
* 1 Remoraid BKT 32
* 1 Octillery BKT 33
* 2 Horsea BUS 29
* 2 Seadra BUS 30
* 2 Kingdra BUS 31

##Trainer Cards -

* 4 Professor Sycamore XY 122
* 2 Professor Kukui SUM 128
* 4 Aqua Patch GRI 119
* 2 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 3 Guzma GRI
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 N NVI 101
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121

##Energy - 13

* 9 Water Energy 3
* 4 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90

It's also cheaper than the original since you have less BKT Remoraid/Octillery to get (in this deck, you really only need one).