Discussion Best Standard Deck without Tapu Lele GX

Stebolo93

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys, i'm new in this game, and i'd like to start playing Standard post rotation, but it seems that every deck run 2/3 x Tapu lele GX and they are too expensive for me!
i know that is hard (if not impossible) to replace them, so i'm asking if there are competitive decks, that after rotation will not need Leles !
I'm new and i've seen very few decks, so maybe you can help me!

Is volcanion ex the best competitive standard deck without leles?

thanks to you all! :D

Pokemaster26

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
For sure Volcanion ex. To my knowledge it is the only tier 1 deck that can run without Tapu Lele gx

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Volcanion EX and Greninja Break are both good decks to run if you're looking for a competitive deck with no Tapu Lele.

Although it's not a great replacement, you could try running a few Random Receiver. It's an item card from Fates Collide that allows you to draw cards until you get a Supporter, put that Supporter in your hand, and shuffle the rest of the cards back in the deck. It has it's downsides, but it might be worth trying until you can get your hands on some Lele!

Stebolo93

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks! :) i read that greninja break lose a lot without dive ball! Maybe it will be tier 2-3, while volcanion still tier 1 right? What are the extensive cards in volcanion ex decks?

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks! :) i read that greninja break lose a lot without dive ball! Maybe it will be tier 2-3, while volcanion still tier 1 right? What are the extensive cards in volcanion ex decks?

Losing Dive Ball definitely hurts Greninja, but you can replace the Dive Ball with Evosoda since it basically does the same thing. It's hard to tell how Greninja will fare post-rotation so we'll just have to wait and see. Volcanion would be your best bet if you're looking for a deck that's proven going into the new rotation.

Volcanion EX will cost you about $5 a piece, but those should really be the most expensive since you're not getting Lele yet. I always use TCGplayer for prices. I feel like you could easily buy every card in the deck for under $75 total, maybe even around $50. Most of the staple supporters and item cards are really cheap, and if there are any leagues in your area, sometimes people that go to those might even help you out and give you extras.

joffreyspikes

Aspiring Trainer
There are tons of Volcanion decks in the Deck Garage, so check them out if you want card choice details. Volcanion will certainly be Tier 1 next season and as someone who has tested Volcanion literally hundreds of times, I almost never need the sole Lele I happen to have. I would certainly encourage you to run that deck if you don't want to use Tapu Lele.

crowfeather4

R.I.P. Night March
Volcanion EX will cost you about $5 a piece, but those should really be the most expensive since you're not getting Lele yet. I always use TCGplayer for prices. I feel like you could easily buy every card in the deck for under $75 total, maybe even around $50. Most of the staple supporters and item cards are really cheap, and if there are any leagues in your area, sometimes people that go to those might even help you out and give you extras.

Isn't Max Elixir really expensive though, around $25 for a playset?

joffreyspikes

Aspiring Trainer
Isn't Max Elixir really expensive though, around $25 for a playset?
I only just realised how expensive those things are: I got a playset by trading with my little brother's kiddy friends in return for a few reverse holo uncommons of Pokémon they like!

Adi

Aspiring Trainer
I run a Volcanion deck too, but I run Tapu Lele's with it. I don't understand why it is any better without Lele than other decks. I know for sure the most competitive version of Greninja doesn't run Lele, so that would be my personal suggestion to you because it is still going to be a fairly competitive deck next format. Running an Alolan Ninetales deck is also a "better" option in my opinion than Volcanion because Octillery can do the job well enough. I would also suggest Gardevoir GX deck because it runs Octillery, but Gardevoir'a are going for like $20 a piece. I hope this helps.