Heatran Promo in January's 'CoroCoro Ichiban' Magazine

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
If they messed up Gardevoir GX then it would have been a Tier 0 deck. Gardevoir isn't a broken deck. And with all honesty it's just one card not an entire archetype. Metal has every possible energy acceleration now: Energy from Discard Pile, unlimited from Hand AND from deck AND nerf-Max Elixir into a card. Lastly, take a closer look into the tops of the last 7 major tournaments so far and the representation of Gardevoir in the Top 8. Among the hilariously small representation in the top 8, you'll also notice a that Gardevoir isn't a deck that wins because of the deck itself but from the people that pilot it. And just this fact alone: this deck doesn't win you any tournament (in comparison to other TCGs like Yugioh) is a great achievement of the Pokemon Company.

All of that is wrong.

Evolutions??! Eeww!! That is the most trashiest and last XY set that we have. Better SM-on

That wasn't my point but okay.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
All of that is wrong.
Actually it most certainly is right yea gardevoir won worlds but that was last format. has it done well it previous tournaments yes, has it swept top 8 no it hasnt. in fact golisopod has won 2 differnt regionals how come you dont say that should be banned or is it that you think any deck that does well at a tournament more than once should be banned you are so full of it and yourself. good decks exist they dont deserve to be banned and not all decks can be valid that would be asking way to much of a tcg creator. anything that goes to day 2 under a good pilot can potentially win it all and more than once at that, that's just how it is good decks exist and just because they might ruin whatever game plan you have doesn't mean you should say its broken learn to accept it and move on to another deck or learn to adapt

crystal_pidgeot

Actually it most certainly is right yea gardevoir won worlds but that was last format. has it done well it previous tournaments yes, has it swept top 8 no it hasnt. in fact golisopod has won 2 differnt regionals how come you dont say that should be banned or is it that you think any deck that does well at a tournament more than once should be banned you are so full of it and yourself. good decks exist they dont deserve to be banned and not all decks can be valid that would be asking way to much of a tcg creator. anything that goes to day 2 under a good pilot can potentially win it all and more than once at that, that's just how it is good decks exist and just because they might ruin whatever game plan you have doesn't mean you should say its broken learn to accept it and move on to another deck or learn to adapt

This isn't a ban this card discussion. Gardy will always be good, hence the reason they are making all the metal Pokemon because they know how good it is. People simply want to a new deck and right now, Zoroark/Golisopod is that deck and the same thing will happen to that deck too. Sure any deck that makes it to day two can win and having the right player can make it so but Gardy is a deck that can just win, no matter the player skill and that is simply because of how good the card is.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
We get it Pokemon. Everyone should only be playing metal decks when SM5 comes out.

pokeraider123456

Aspiring Trainer
This isn't a ban this card discussion. Gardy will always be good, hence the reason they are making all the metal Pokemon because they know how good it is. People simply want to a new deck and right now, Zoroark/Golisopod is that deck and the same thing will happen to that deck too. Sure any deck that makes it to day two can win and having the right player can make it so but Gardy is a deck that can just win, no matter the player skill and that is simply because of how good the card is.
metal type was for the longest time, underpowered for so many years, and now they are just trying to catch up. I have never used a metagross, deck but it seems to be a good deck in the coming sm5.

SucyX

A Legit Seed
I disagree personally (but maybe that's because I love Heatran and want it to do well). It's not about better or worse. Metal right now draws from the discard... but if you have no Metal in the discard you really can't do much (without using Sol Burst). I'm looking forward to trying a Metal Toolbox type deck list with all of these different Metal tech options.
Yes but it is not that hard to get energy in the discard pile with stuff like Sycamore, Ultra ball, even Zoroark-GX and things like that.

crystal_pidgeot

metal type was for the longest time, underpowered for so many years, and now they are just trying to catch up. I have never used a metagross, deck but it seems to be a good deck in the coming sm5.

I personally think the Colorless type and Metal type is the worst type in the game fight now. I just want to see what other types they reveal but it does seem they are on the anti-Gardevoir-GX train.

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Metal Meta, calling it, just know that.

Metal Box has soooo many options now, probably more than any other type tbh.

Etunes

Aspiring Trainer
I should clarify. By NO MEANS do i think guardy is over powered. There is ways around it. Its slow, you can keep a low energy count on your pokemon to power it down. There are many things you can do to out play the deck. IMO golispod has shown much better out come in many ways especially since zoroark-GX has joined the mix. And i think the metal love is something important because its been a long time since metal got any spotlight.

But there is lots of things coming around with SM5 that are giving metal decks every advantage. It will def be top teir after this and we all know it. My thing is i want to see love in other areas. Lightning got some interesting play with luxray. Water got some with glaceon-GX. But there are so many other types that could use love (*cough* dragon *couch*). Not to mention other pokemon from a region we havent seen in a while.

I just want to see some diversity. Hoping garchomp is something usable. Not to mention the fossils OR the fact we would all LOVE a amazing Bidoof/Bibarel to boost the normal types.

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
Does TPCI want to make solgaleo any more broken than it is going to become.

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Yes but it is not that hard to get energy in the discard pile with stuff like Sycamore, Ultra ball, even Zoroark-GX and things like that.

If it was difficult to get Metal into the discard then clearly acceleration from the discard would be the worse option. The point isn't that it's "not that hard" to get Metal in the discard. The point is that you have options should you have no Metal in the discard. This Heatran isn't good alone, but I feel like in combination with all the other fantastic cards this set is giving us for Metal Pokemon support that this card has an important niche in Metal Toolbox or Solgaleo type decks.

Now I could be wrong about this. Considering all the support Metal is getting this card could just be one too many and maybe and this Pokemon will be left on the cutting room floor in favor of other support Pokemon.

Hyakko

Aspiring Trainer
Heatran may be very useful when used along with Mallow which can guarantee 2 energy cards on the top of the deck, if you are lucky enough, you may end up attaching 3-4 energy cards at once.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Solid card. Not game-defining or anything, but decent. I think it has more potential as an attacker than as a setup Pokemon honestly. It's a non-GX, and can one-shot metal-weak GX's like Gardevoir, even if it's a little inefficient energy-wise. (That's not stopping Celesteela, though admittedly, its 200 HP factors into that.)

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
Personally i find this upcoming "Metal meta" very deceiving. I wonder what they plan in order to balance the game out after Solgaleo-Gx releases. This pokémon will completely break the game and they keep adding one good card after the other for Metal decks.

Not a single pokémon will be able to take a OHKO on Solgaleo-Gx without a gimmick. Only Fire decks will have the possibility and this is if they can negate "Shining Mane" ability. For other decks Sylvally-Gx with Fire Memory, Professor Kukui? Come one, give us some decent counter.

I like the idea of Glaceon-Gx. It could work against Solgaleo-Gx if the added something else. This is what i would personally like to see:

Flareon-Gx
Ability: Each of your pokémon is also a fire type

This would open options for Glaceon-Gx to compete against Solgaleo-Gx. The card would still be weak to Metal, it would now be weak to water, but it would also have the opportunity to hit Solgaleo-Gx for weakness because it would also disable "Shining Mane". Still not a OHKO on Solgaleo-Gx but a serious option.